Saturday, March 19, 2011

Crazy

   This is kind of short post this week, as I make a response to those that have been talking about my sanity - or my supposed lack thereof. First off, I would like state that being ‘crazy’ these days is rather underwhelming. To call someone crazy doesn’t really convey any real sense of pure impulsiveness or a lack of sanity. I mean, you could go to just about any college party, and see that one guy that everyone says is crazy; “Dude, he’s so crazy, he did keg stand and held it all by himself for thirty seconds! Righteous!”

   That person isn’t crazy, he is a leading candidate for psoriasis.

   Now, I have never been that guy. I may be known for threatening a friend’s family and home, but what’s a little fear between friends? I mean,  I’m certain that you all have that one friend that you have threatened with murder at least once. Maybe even twice.

   Along with the ’being crazy’ thing, I have also received several claims that state I am some form of lunatic. After hearing this, I began to think about what it means to really be a lunatic. I mean, I wanted to out some historic background to the word. Really give it a face.


   This face maybe?

   Or this?

   I really got into the word. I wanted to know if there was any chance I actually was a lunatic. I mean, it couldn’t be too bad - the word sounds kind of fun - Lunatic. HA! So, I researched the roots of it, really examining what it meant and where the word came from. Moonstruck and one under the influence of the moon were some of the biggest points I gathered. And suddenly, it hit me; my last name was the key. 

   Lopez is a Spanish surname, which has roots in the word Lupus, which is wolf. Wolf as a word has root in Luna, which means moon or one of the moon. Thus, the accusation was correct, but not in the way that one would suspect. I am a lunatic. My family members are lunatics. My ancestors are lunatics, and they named themselves. So, I thank the people that claim me such - you have inadvertently rationalized my place in my own family tree.

   (Note: A wolf is NOT a bear)



   This guy doesn't count though, mostly because he looks like he doesn't have the pack mentality.

   Since this realization, I now understand that today usage of the word ‘lunatic’ and it being used that same as ‘crazy’ is completely wrong. By calling someone a lunatic, you are just equating that person to me and my family. Please don’t do that without our consent - we don’t random people showing up to our family reunions. As for the crazy thing, well, you must have some form of hard evidence to prove this beyond a claim to lunacy, which is mine by birthright. 

   Like I said, what’s a threat of arson between friends, right? It’s not insanity, it’s a nice, warm, elevated form of expressed friendship.


   Right, friends?

1 comment:

  1. Let's see.. you eat baby pies, you are bad with children and you wouldn't mind burning down our house (hopefully with our neighbors in it, not us.)... the more I read, the less I feel like I should let you come over to game....

    :-P I'll just keep Gabe at safe distance.

    ReplyDelete